Hello there! It feels like I haven't posted anything for ages but it was only Saturday.
I've decided to have a bit of time off from kaftans and tunics for the moment. After three unsuccessful attempts I think I really need to understand how patterns are cut and altered before I go any further. I do have a couple of other patterns up my sleeve but everything has been put to one side for the moment.
First up is June's Prima magazine, which has a pattern for three variations of a lovely simple top.
(click on the image for a bigger version)
Alright, alright, it's nearly a tunic-y-type top, but I like it nonetheless so I shall give it a go (probably the short sleeved version, but the long sleeved t-shirty variation also shouts at me). I'll have a while to decide because it could take up to three weeks to arrive, but that's ok. Oh and if you would like a copy of the pattern yourself (and you live in the UK or Ireland) you've got until the end of this month to order one.
Moving on from Prima, I bought the Burda magazine from May 2009 on Ebay and it arrived a couple of days ago. The nice thing about Burda is that you can preview all their previous editions on their website, so if you see a magazine on offer on Ebay, you can check whether there are any patterns you like before you bid. Hmm, although having said that, the burdafashion.com site seems to be defaulting to the burdastyle.com page at the moment, so I don't know what's going on there. I'll update this post if things improve.
Ah, this might partially explain it. It appears that BurdaStyle is now offering patterns from BurdaFashion (ie. the magazine website). But that doesn't explain what has happened to the magazine front page or archive. Well, I'll keep a watch on it and let you know*.
Anyhoo, back to the Burda June May 2009 magazine. I have my eye on these ...
... and this lovely bias-skirted dress. This is most certainly my next sewing project, and I have a mind to do a trial run in the same yellow gingham that I used for the inside of my May Giveaway bag. I've been itching to make some clothing in that fabric ever since I saw it.
I've also been doing a bit of non-sewing crafting as well. Making more granny squares, this time in a fine crochet cotton. Not sure whether they will become a cropped jacket-type cardigan (Lucy at Attic24 got me thinking about that) or a cot cover or a window screen, but they keep my fingers busy during CSI.
The yarn is rather wiry and fiddly to use (although I'm sure it would soften up a bit with wear), and I often feel like a Nana knitting Shreddies when I work with it. (For those of you who don't get British telly and haven't got a clue what I'm on about, have a look here).
So I have a second plan for CSI. Long, long, long, long, long ago (like when I was about 14) I bought a load of natural DK cotton from our local John Lewis. It's been knitted up and worn and pulled out and knitted up again (and probably a few times more), and I discovered it yet again in the back of a cupboard a while ago. I decided to dye some of it along with my Simplicity top and crochet an Attic24-type bag in red(-ish) and white stripes. It is very soft and will be a nice change from knitting breakfast cereals.
I was going to do a dye how-to but my camera battery gave up before I had even taken the first shot, so all I can show you is the (nearly) final result. Still on the washing line and taken just now...
This is Dylon's Burlesque Red, which looked rather grape coloured when I made up the dye, but the colour is a bit diluted as I used more than the recommended weight of fabric (maybe 400g instead of 250g). I was worried that I wouldn't like the colour (having never used it before) but I think it's turned out pretty ok. I'll see what it's like when it's dry, and post a photo of the finished top complete with roses.
I'm off to get out the greaseproof paper and start to trace off the Burda dress.
* Burda update 03-06-10: It looks like they're amalgamating the two sites for the english version. Read more here