You might get the impression from recent posts that I haven't been doing much sewing lately, and it's true there's currently nothing major on the go, but I have been doing a few odds and ends interspersed with trying to work on my course which was rather neglected during my recent tunic adventures.
You might remember I finally got round to dyeing the Simplicity top a week or so ago, and on Saturday I managed to finally sew on the roses and a button, so it's now officially wearable.
(please excuse the fierce expression, it was raining).
I'm not entirely sure about the colour, and I think it could have done with another rose or two towards the shoulder seam, but apart from that, I'm reasonably happy. The pattern version has roses all the same size (as my large ones) and sewn on symmetrically around the scoop of the neck, but that didn't really do it for me. By the way, please don't, under any circumstances, ask to see how I sewed the roses on - they look terrible. If you're going to make a top like this for anyone other than yourself (and maybe yourself too), use facings (I used bias binding round the neck) and hide the stitches!
When I was dyeing the top, I also dyed some cotton DK yarn found in the back of a cupboard. Well, whilst the colour (Dylon's Burlesque Red) looks ok on the top, I decided that it just wasn't distinctive enough to show up as anything other than a muddy maybe-brown when used as a narrow stripe (probably due in part to using too much fabric to too little dye and therefore diluting the colour too much). So I over-dyed it with Dylon's Tulip Red, a much more vibrant colour and got a much better result.
So I'm three quarters round the base of the Attic24 style bag and it's looking pretty good so far...
I think I will have quite a lot of yarn left over so if that happens I shall do a giant granny-square-cum-baby blanket type thing with the leftovers. Enough to keep me going through a few more CSIs at any rate!
I am having one problem though. Do you see how the colour of the previous row peeks through when I change colour?
I don't know if it's me or the yarn or what. Because I'm only working with two colours, I'm not breaking the thread with every colour change, just carrying the yarn up to the next stripe, so perhaps that's causing the problem.
I'm also still working on what I now think of as my Shreddies granny squares, and I'm slowly formulating an idea for a cafe curtain, but I'm about to run out of crochet cotton so that will all take a while to come to anything worth posting.
And I have finally got round to finishing lowering the waist on my first pair of Burda trousers, which I unpicked about 8 weeks ago and then they sat, folded neatly, on an armchair until Saturday. Er... perhaps I shouldn't have admitted to that. Ahem, anyway, I'm back on track with them now. They won't be perfect, and the waist will still be quite high (because I can't be arsed to take the zip out so I can only lower the waistband by about 4cm before I start having fiddly encounters with zip teeth) but they'll be better and I'll feel less like I'm wearing empire-line trousers. By the way, isn't it funny how the US version of What Not To Wear pronounces it om-peer and not em-pie-er. Makes me smile anyway.
So you see, quietly busy.