(navy: never the best colour for photographs...)
Number one in my contributions to Rae and Dana's Celebrating the Summer Boy week is a short onesie.
I want to make Baby Stash a couple of pairs of these because we'll be in Germany in July and it will be pretty hot, and he seems to be quite an easily over-heatable baby.
I went to look for a patternand at the same time I was also looking for a bucket hat pattern, so when I found Burda's 9522, I was very pleased because it has both. Plus a little pair of shorts, a t-shirt and a little bandana-style hat.
The pattern is easy enough, although I didn't like Burda's instruction to add a slit to the neckline. Not only is it unnecessary in terms of getting the neck over the child's head, but it's just a raw zigzaged edge which looks pretty rough; I left it out.
The thing that was a complete pain was the jersey. This is just a plain, light weight cotton jersey from my LFS, but lordy was it tough to sew. It's really tightly woven and my Elna had to fight to get a needle through it when I was sewing multiple layers doing neck, leg and sleeve bindings. And getting pins into it (even fine ones) was neigh on impossible.
I'm sure it would have been a quick sew if the jersey had been more amenable, but it felt like it took an age. I have some different jersey now so the navy is being relegated to a pending pile, and I shall see how I do with the new stuff. So hopefully another one to follow in a day or two.