Well, it's been a very mixed week as far as the Kids Clothing Week Challenge goes. I was really hoping to have at least one thing finished but things conspired against me, so I am feeling a bit grumpy with the world.
First up is a little fleece jacket.
As with most of the tops I've made for Baby Stash so far, this one is based on Jackie Clark's Cute as a Button Baby Jacket. I'm not a fan of the sleeve-body all in one construction though so I cut a raglan sleeve and turned the rather large neck hole into a funnel neck.
I'm going to put in a chunky zip - this is my holdup because I can't seem to get one here that's short enough. I have one newly discovered habadashery shop in central Dublin to try, but they don't seem to answer the phone so if they're not in tomorrow, I'll be off to eBay. Once that's in I can turn back the navy bindings and finish the hem.
Second is a pair of overalls.
The colour is far too bright in this photo but I was in a bit of a hurry to get this posted. A more accurate colour next time hopefully.
These are based on another Jackie Clark pattern, this time her Baby Overalls. I've made them before (can't remember if I've blogged about them though) and they're nice and simple to make. I don't line them so they need facings, and this time I made leg seam facings too (previously I've put on a placket). They still need hemming (something somewhere has gone wrong with the leg length so I'll need to fiddle about with them a bit) and the poppers putting on.
The fabric is red Vendela velvet from Ikea and the facing is a navy gingham. I've also got some in brown but I can't decide whether to make another pair of overalls or a pair of trousers with that.
And thirdly, a pair of knitted trousers.
These were my what-if-I-can't-see-to-sew-after-the-op standby. They're based on these Kanoko trousers which Stashlet already has a pair of knitted in green cotton by his grandma (which you can see here). The yarn is Sidar Recycled which is a cotton DK. My guage comes out slightly differently to the one on the ball band so I rejigged the pattern a bit to get the right number of stitches.
I knitted the waistband while I was waiting to go in to surgery, and then realised that I'd forgotten to take a circular needle with me (you knit the waistband 'open' and then the body in the round) so I had to stop there. But when I got home and tried the circular needle it was too long, then I tried double pointed needles but despit using five, the sitiches kept falling off so I was back to normal needles and not knitting it in the round. This will probably work out better because the colour changes will be less obvious than if I was knitting, in effect, in a spiral.
Because I'm knitting in stripes, I'm just working in stocking stitch rather than the moss stitch and garter stitch pattern of the original. I think the pattern would be somewhat lost in the colours. My mother said this took her longer than expected so I'm looking at this as a medium term, in-front-of--the-telly project.
As for the Charlie Tunic that I was dying to make... well, that got as far as tracing the pattern and then I got all engrosed in working out the neck for the fleece jacket and forgot about it!
Anyway, more on all these projects as they get done. Bedtime for me now.