A long, long, long time ago, so long that you probably don't remember, I made a little orange fleece for the wee Stashlet. And at the same time, I also cut out and started a sweatshirt using the same pattern (Burda 9522).
And then, because I am a slovenly sewer sometimes, I broke the twin needle that I was doing the hems with (I was sewing over pins and not paying attention), and the 90% finished sweatshirt got put on hold while I tried to find another twin needle the same size. Well, it's a very boring story so the short version is, I finally got some, put them somewhere safe, and then couldn't find them. So the sweatshirt sat around for a bit more, until this Thursday when I finally cracked, pulled out all the hemming and redid it with a different size needle.
So finally, here is the little envelope neck sweatshirt, which Stashlet now fits without having to roll the sleeves up as I did with the orange fleece in December.
It's made from a lovely soft double jersey, which to the uninitiated (as I was until I came across this fabric) is two layers of jersery cleverly knitted so that they remain seperate but at the same time are linked together by a stitch very so often (like double muslin). the colour is not something I would have gone for but it was that or a horrible muddy dark green, so I thought if it turned out looking awful I could always dye it. In the end, I decided it looked alright, but there is (or there should be!) enough left over for something else, so I will probably dye that. One pinky biege top is quite enough for any little boy.
When I made the little orange fleece, I used a sort of pseudo overlock stitch and what with the thickness of the fleece, that worked out very well. I decided to use twin needle top stitching with this sweatshirt, and to be honest it was a bit hit and miss. I learnt that you can't turn neat corners with a twin needle, so the side vents look a bit crappy, and for some reason I managed to sew the whole of the back neck binding on whilst missing it on the wrong side, so I had to do a bit of a patch job with some hand hemming on that. But all in all, I think it looks alright on, and no-one will notice the crappy bits (I hope!).