Stashlet has a friend at playgroup who turned one the other day, so I decided to make him a sun hat (not that we have sun at the moment but there's nothing like a bit of optimism to get you through to summer, is there?).
It's the same pattern that I used for Stashlet's hat last summer. Like the sweatshirt I showed you the other day, it's from the Burda 9522 pattern. This time I made the largest size (18" head circumference) which is a wee bit too big for Stashlet, and will be a bit to big for Master H at the moment, but I'm hoping that it will fit him by the time summer comes.
The fabric is some Ikea heavyweight cotton (which I bought ages ago to make an Onion Uniform Jacket and still haven't got round to it) and a polycotton (I think) gingham lining.
Having made this hat once already, and not being very impressed with the construction instructions, I decided to go my own way with putting it together:
- sew the two brims together and topstitch them
- sew the tops and sides together to end up with two separate crowns
- stitch the brim to the outer crown
- turn under and baste the seam allowance on the crown lining
- pin and topstitch the crown lining inside the outer hat
You don't get a reversible hat this way, but all the raw edges are concealed so it looks nice and neat. The only way I can think of to do a truly reversible hat would be to sew the lining and outer separately, put them together and bind the brim edge with a bias binding. I intend to make at least a couple of sunhats for Stashlet this summer, so I will try to do one of each construction and see how they turn out.
In other news, my mother came for a visit, I've started an exceedingly part-time job at my LFS, and Stashlet is now with a childminder three mornings a week, so unfortunately blogging (as you will have noticed) has got even more infrequent.
My distance learning course has to be completed by the end of this month - I just have an essay left to write but having had a year's break in the middle of the course, there's a lot of re-reading that needs doing first (sigh).
But some positive blog related news: MrG's friend, Mr C, has given us one of his old laptops, so once we've put Windows on it (it has Linux Ubuntu at the moment which drives us mad), I'll be able to blog on the kitchen table and not wake Stashlet up with creaking floor boards every time I try to get to my pc. So small hurrahs and hopefully things will improve blog-wise next month.