It's been a while but I hope I can get back into the swing of blogging. I have a few projects to show you and I want to try to get them posted in chronological order – that is, if I can remember what order I made them in.
First up is this cardi which I knitted a couple of months ago after the lovely blue cable version sadly turned into a cropped top.
Stashlet seems to be bean-poleing at a rate of knots. At 16 months old he's now 12.5kg and getting taller and taller (I need to measure him again – her was 80cm on his birthday but I reckon he's put on a few inches since then). So another cardi was definitely in order.
This was going to be knitted with two strands of yarn but I soon realised I wouldn't have enough so I started again. It's another one of my make it up as you go along cardigans, and frankly I'm in two minds about it.
I hmm-ed and haa-ed about doing another cable version but in the end, thinking I'd be quicker, I opted for a garter stitch stripe. As it turned out, my efforts to be quick were all in vain: somehow I managed to make a mess of the sleeves and ended up pulling them out and reknitting them twice. What a pain!
The hood was another experiment in short row shaping and what I learnt there was that garter stitch stripes and short row shaping don’t really marry that well – the stripes seem to make the short rows a bit too obvious. Another note to bear in mind for next time.
The yarn is San Marino from Lidl. It was reasonably nice to work with although it did tend to split a bit if I wasn't paying attention. Made up though, I do find the colour a bit on the dull side.
The fit worked out pretty well. It's certainly long enough, and there's room for elongation in the sleeves too, although the cuffs ended up a bit tight. Wearing it has not worked out so well. The yarn seems to catch a lot and there have been more than a few occasions where stitches have got pulled. I'm not sure if that is something to do with the yarn itself, or my knitting tension.
The weather being what it is, it's still getting some wear but I hope it will still be big enough to wear in the autumn, bean pole factor not withstanding.
ball band gauge info: 21 stitches and 28 rows over 10cm/4” on 5 mm needles
my tension: (agh! I can''t remember, I'll have to measure again) over 10cm/4” on 5mm needles
yarn composition: 55% pure new wool and 45% polyacrylic