Way, way back in the pre-Stashlet days, I had a tunic frenzy. I made several tunics and they never managed to fit properly, which was really disappointing.
But, after more than a year off, I seem to have got my tunic mojo back. Hurrah! because I really like the idea of simple pull-over tops that are not blouses or t-shirts.
One of the many tunic patterns I have lounging around in my pattern box is a version from the May 2009 Prima magazine, and I thought I might give that a go with some trusty Ikea Bomull. By the way, have you noticed that the quality of Bomull has gone down? Ikea, what are you thinking?
My perennial problem with all the previous tunics was fit across the back. Prima's tunic comes in two versions, one with sleeves and one without, so naturally I made the one without. Now there's logic for you (er...). I also decided to make it dress length having been inspired by the lovely, simple A-line dresses that Harmony and Rosie keep coming up with.
Having still not got rid of my pregnancy flab, I made the size 18 (oh, how I cringe to type that) and it is a perfect fit. Except.....
The bust darts. At least it's not the fit across the back. Do I have serious boob droop or is the pattern being a little over ambitious in the pert department?
Those little safety pins mark my point of bust. That's 4.5cm lower than Prima's. Which is quite a lot, even in a new M&S bra.
Well, I like this dress despite the dart issue so I unpicked the dart and moved the pointed end down to my point of bust.
Clearly this is not ideal, and I plan to make a second trial and add 4.5cm in directly below the armhole across the complete width of the dress, but I plan to dye this a very dark blue or purple so I am sort of hoping that the rather strange dart won't be too obvious. If you're reading this and going Noooooooo!, please let me know, I woudl prefer not to look a complete idiot if you think it is going to be that bad.
I'll get back to you on this, a. when I've dyed this version, and b. when I've made the second, lengthened-under-the-armhole version.