I'd been wanting to make Stashlet one of these for a while, and had been constructing little graph paper models to try to decide on the best way to do it. Fortunately, Stashlet decided to 'play' with said models and I had to look on the internet instead, which was much quicker and more help than the graph paper, to be honest.
I found Alexandra's post very useful on how to cut the fabric and then went off on a tangent with seams and so forth.
I want this wigwam to last so I top stitched the seams, made little button holes for the front ties, and little loops for tent pegs. The fabric is Ikea's Sofia and I used the full width of the fabric (150cm) to make the panels. The stripes worked out well; I was afraid that they wouldn't match up but somehow (I can't remember now if it was by luck or design) they went together perfectly.
I used cotton tape to bind the long open edge and top, and hemmed the bottom. I had wanted to use a straight stitch to attach the tape but my line kept going wonky and the stitches kept falling off the tape, so I abandoned that and used a wide zigzag instead, which won't get me any marks for neat workmanship but does the trick.
The canes are held in lace by 3 loops of elastic sewn into each seam. My original plan was to do a kind of giant french seam and push the canes through the channels that would be greated by the two lines of stitches, but in the end I thought I wouldn't have enough fabric to do that and have decent sized panels. The system works ok with the canes, but would be better with dowel, I think, as the elastic would be stretched a bit and therefore hold the fabric more firmly.
There are a few things that still need sorting out.
The tent pegs: I got big plastic ones on the basis that they would be less dangerous than the metal ones, but I can't get them into the lawn, so I suppose I shall have to get metal ones and make sure they are well pushed/hammered in.
The front fastening: I think it could do with another tie lower down but that's not a high priority.
The canes: these are 6ft bamboo canes which are the right length but are too thin and whippy, so I either need to find thicker canes or buy some 1" dowel and use that instead.
And the top: I can't get the top of the wigwam to stay up very well or the canes to stay together in the right place. My current solution is to drill a hole in each cane and tie them together with wire, which holds the fabric up but the wire has sharp ends, so that's not ideal.
Anyway, Stashlet likes it and on the few rare occasions that we've had enough sun to be able to use it, has spent his time running in and out of it playing peekaboo with the flaps.
If anyone would like more detailed photos, let me know and I'll stick some up.