Added 10-04-03: I got my dates wrong but feel free to read on...
It's been rather a frantic week here at Stash Towers so despite remembering on Tuesday that I should be sewing, it took until Friday for me to actually get anything done for Kids Clothes Week. So the aim of doing an hour's sewing a day totally went out of the window.
Still, timing failure aside, I did manage a few things so the week is not a complete write off.
Achievement 1: I finally finished that stripey t-shirt that I started for Celebrating the BOY.
I still haven't really got the hang of t-shirt necks. This one is a bit too baggy although I think part of the problem was that I wasn't using ribbing and there isn't a great deal of stretch in the jersey I used. I also felt that the neck opening was a little on the small side so I didn't want to make it any tighter. Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine.
I also put a snippet of rocket ribbon on the front hem, like a logo, to make it look a little less plain. I have some decoration plans for the other two I made but I thnk they'll happen when they happen, y'know?
Achievement 1.5: I skipped on over to Pattern Anthology and got a copy of the Coastal Cargos pattern, which is now printed off, stuck together and waiting for me to unpick a pair of old M&S linen trousers. Not exactly a proper achievement but I used the welt pocket instructions for Achievement 2...
Achievement 2: A pair of trousers, all ready to wear, and pretty fancy if you ask me.
The pattern is Made's Kids Pants pattern, which is downloadable in size 2-3T so perfect for Stashlet this spring and summer. The fabric is from my LFS (now, sadly, not so L), and I used the flat front option (with only the back elasticated) to reduce the baggyness I've found with previous trousers I've made.
I have decided that you can't have trousers without pockets (especially if you are a boy who collects pebbles) so I ended up getting a bit carried away and put welt pockets on the back. Never done them before but the instructions from the Coastal Cargos couldn't have been clearer, and while they're not perfect, I am pleased enough with them for my first attempt.
I did make a couple of changes. I wanted cropped trousers for the summer so I took an arbitary 7cm off the leg, aiming for three quarter length, and I also sewed down the outside leg seam so that it looks neat if I do turn ups. That worked pretty well.
Somewhat stupidly and mostly because it was gone midnight when I did them, so my brain was not entirely keeping up, I put the welt pockets in an inch higher than they should have been, and then I had to fudge the waistband a bit. In the end though, I think they are not too terrible, and I will definitely know better for next time.
Overall, the trousers worked out miles better than any I made when Stashlet was younger and I will definitely make several more pairs using this pattern. I can also say that welt pockets are not half as tricky or time consuming as they look. Length-wise, they are full length on Stashlet at the moment (he seems to be having a short in the legs/long in the body phase) but I hope he will do a bit of growing over the summer (surely there's a growth spurt coming up...).