Firstly, a big thank you to everyone for all your lovely comments about the quilted placemats. They are on hold for a week or so but should make a final appearance very soon.
I've been making t-shirts using Dana's Basic Tee pattern which comes as a free download for size 4T-5T - a bit big for Stashlet at the moment but as I learnt very early on in my mothering career, he'll always grow into them!
The 'grey' one is an upcycled, ex-black t-shirt donated by Mr G, and the fabric is so old that I looked at this version as more of a trial run. But it worked out ok so I am sure it will do for a summer - perhaps with a bit of fabric painting on the front.
The pale blue one is one of my old t-shirts. The fabric is a 2x2 rib which was fine for sewing the body of the t-shirt but a total pain for the neck, which is why it looks so awful and baggy. I then attempted to top-stitch it and the stitches went everywhere - it was one of the stretch stitches that my machine does and therefore not worth the angst to unpicking - so this t-shirt will have to be worn only when viewed from afar!
The navy pinstripe is a wonderful jersey from my LFS. It is lovely and heavy, and sews like a dream. I bought a metre on the basis that I would make a skirt (more on that in another post) and use the rest for tops for Stashlet. I need to get a second reel of navy thread before I finish this because I"m going to get out a twin needle and use that for hems and neck edge, so hopefully that will be done in the next couple of days.
Don't fear, dear readers, this is not the end of my t-shirt frenzy. I also plan to try the t-shirt pattern from Sewing for Boys, the advantage here being that I can make t-shirts for Stashlet in his existing size and he can wear some right now. So watch this space!