I've been flitting from project to project in the last few weeks, following the completion of the baby quilt.
Mostly I've been crocheting (and there'll be a post about that coming along shortly) but I've also done a spot of dress making and finally managed to do a bit more of Stashlet's quilt.
So. The dresses. I used New Look's 6095 which I bought a few years ago when I worked at my LFS. It's a nice quick and simple pattern, and I was particularly taken with the orange sleeveless sketch which I think was what sold it to me.
As is my wont, I made a muslin out of Ikea Bomull and dyed it Dylon Jeans Blue. I know, it's getting boring now, but I really do like that colour, and out of all the Dylon colours I've tried, it is so far the only one which is not a. horrible or b. requires sunglasses.
The result was this:
Well, firstly, apologies for the complete absence of an iron. The dress turned out too short and - for me - the neckline is too high, but I like the general shape of it and the little cap sleeves.
I did a spot of creative but rather badly executed top stitching on the hem and neck to make it a little less boring. I really like the idea but next time I have to plan (and mark!!!) the distance between the lines a lot better.
The outcome is that it's wearable with leggings but it might end up in the charity bag.
Hot on the heels of that, and somewhat of a panic sew (I had a job interview and wanted to wear a dress), came this one:
Same New Look pattern but I omitted the sleeves and changed the neckline. I have to say the Bomull muslin fared better. This one's only saving grace is that it is a reasonable length - I think I added on at least 6". The neckline is too deep and gapes a bit, and I should have pulled the shoulders in an inch or so, as it's too wide and difficult to hide bra straps under. And to top it, I'm not sure the fabric and the dress go together. Needless to say, I didn't wear it to the job interview.
I did a bit of top stitching on this one too, just one line this time, using the stretch straight stitch option which I think makes it look a bit like a handsewn sashiko style running stitch. And if you follow me on Pinterest, you'll have seen I've started a shashiko board; more on this in the next post...
All in all, I think this pattern needs something a bit more drapey than quilt-weight cotton, especially to get the sleeves to hang right, but I do like the general idea of it, so you'll probably see it again somewhen!
Sharing with Randi's Show and Tell Tuesday. Thanks Randi!